TransLink is planning a reallocation of bus service and is asking for the public's feedback on the plan.
TransLink said its intention is to implement "service optimization," which would involve reducing service from low-demand areas and reallocating it to higher-demand areas.
Meanwhile, TransLink also is planning to raise fares, starting January 1, 2013, by about $0.25.
Starting November 19, public feedback will be garnered, both online and at open houses, to its service plan.
"Demand for transit service is growing in the region," said TransLink CEO
Ian Jarvis. "Our goal is to match that demand with an efficient service.
"Last year, we added 14 million more rides at no extra cost. We're building on that success, and have a robust process in place to ensure we're thinking about our customers and taxpayers as we plan and deliver transit service. We've done an analysis and now we want to hear from the public."
Open houses will be held at the following locations and times, from 4 p.m. to 7:30 p.m., unless otherwise specified:
- Vancouver (routes 2, 22, C21, C23), November 20, Roundhouse Centre (Room B), 181 Roundhouse Mews;
- Coquitlam (routes 153, 159, 177, 179, 189, C24, C29, C30, C38), November 21, Evergreen Cultural Centre, Studio Theatre, 1205 Pinetree Way;
- New Westminster (routes 101, 154, C98, C99), November 22, Royal City Centre, Community Room, 620 6thSt.;
- Surrey (routes 312, 314, 332, 335, 502), November 28, Surrey City Central Library, Meeting Room, 120 – 350 University Drive;
- North Vancouver (routes 211, 229, N24), November 29, Mollie Nye House, 940 Lynn Valley Road;
- Aldergrove/Langley (route 502), December 4, 5 p.m. to 7:30 p.m., Aldergrove Community High School, 26850 – 29th Ave.;
- Pitt Meadows, (route C41), December 5, Pitt Meadows Family Recreation Centre, 12027 Harris Road;
- Maple Ridge (routes C48 and C49), December 6, ACT Arts Centre & Theatre, 11944 Haney Place;
- West Vancouver (routes 251, 252), December 11, West Vancouver Memorial Library (Welsh Hall), 1950 Marine Dr.;
- Burnaby (routes C1, C2), December 12, 5 p.m. to 7:30 p.m., Gilmore Community School (Gym), 50 South Gilmore Ave.