Two more B.C. tech companies are adding to their executive ranks amid an unprecedented month of change for the sector’s C-suites.
Bench Accounting Inc. announced Thursday the hiring of Jean-Philippe (JP) Durrios as its first president and chief financial officer.
This comes after Canada Drives Ltd. revealed on Monday the hiring of Darcy Reno as its chief technology officer (CTO).
“Think about all the additional hiring needed in a sector that's growing and that plays out in additional executive roles as well,” Stephanie Hollingshead, CEO of Vancouver-based Tech and People (TAP) Network, told BIVearlier this month.
She said the recent burst of high-profile executive hires is unusual for the province’s tech scene.
But with unprecedented amounts of investor capital flowing in, B.C. tech companies have been on a tear hiring workers as part of their expansion efforts.
A 2021 TAP survey found respondents' average planned headcount growth for last year was 37%, “which is really high,” said Hollingshead.
At least 10 B.C.-based tech companies have announced major changes to their executive ranks to kick off the year:
- GeoComply Solutions Inc.: co-founder Anna Sainsbury hired as CEO; replaces co-founder David Briggs
- Zymeworks Inc. (NYSE:ZYME): former board member Kenneth Galbraith hired as CEO; replaces co-founder Ali Tehrani
- Clio (Themis Solutions Inc.): Curt Sigfstead hired as chief financial officer; replaces Rob Froment
- BuildDirect.com Technologies Inc. (TSXV:BILD): David Lazar hired as interim CEO; replaces Dan Park
- Trulioo Information Services Inc.: Michael Ramsbacker hired as first chief product officer
- Mogo Inc. (TSX:MOGO): Allan Smith hired as first chief people officer
- Cymax Groups Technologies Ltd.: Shouvik Roy hired as chief financial officer; replaces Faheem Gwadry
- Electra Meccanica Vehicles Corp. (Nasdaq:SOLO): Kim Brinks hired as first chief revenue officer
- Copperleaf Technologies Inc. (TSX:CPLF): Miranda Alldritt departs as president
- Canada Drives Ltd.: Darcy Reno hired as chief technology officer
- Bench Accounting Inc.: Jean-Philippe (JP) Durrios hired as first president and CFO
Bench develops software to help automate accounting tasks for about 12,000 businesses globally.
L.A.-based Durrios previously served as CFO and chief operating officer of consumer insights platform Disqo Inc.
Canada Drives, meanwhile, shifted lanes in 2020 from its fintech origins into online vehicle sales.
Kelowna-based Reno was previously CTO at B.C. animation house Bardel Entertainment Inc. before co-founding FNX Technologies Ltd., serving as its CEO before it was acquired by LFX Services Ltd.
He subsequently served as CTO of digital product creation and commerce at the new parent company.